Monday, March 2, 2015

54 and Failing

Me, my test and my new lipstick
Unless you're Danny D then you've probably failed a class before. I'm not going end the with an F, I just have one for right now. I'm usually good at math but this test stressed me out so much and I tried studying multiple times. I even did the review twice and once with a tutor. Cramer's Rule and some other random law definitely threw me off. It doesn't feel good knowing my grade is so low since it's only determined by two midterms, two projects, and the final. Making it up and bringing my grade to an A will be almost impossible and slightly challenging but I think I have it in me. As Jay-Z would say "Difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week".

Since I have both failed and aced classes before I think I have enough experience to give some quick tips on passing classes in college.

1. STUDY GROUPS-In my math class last semester we would have giant study sessions and collaborate our minds, I wouldn't have gotten any of my homework or study guides completed without my classmates. It's a great way to make new friends and get shit done at the same time. They  definitely helped me less scared of college math and what to expect in more difficult classes.

Newest member of the family
2. UTILIZE TUTORS-Getting into Gateway classes is definitely a plus if you're extra but you need help in your classes. Gateway tutors are older students hired to sit in on the classes and help you when you're having trouble and they pretty much assist the teachers so you can learn and understand the work you're given. There are also many labs around campus where you can tutors for almost every subject. To name a few that I have used, we have the math located in the IDC building, a language lab in the Humanities building, and the LRC that's located in the same building as the Library.

3. STUDY GUIDES-If your teacher doesn't provide a study guide for you then make one yourself. Look back on your notes and find key points from throughout the semester and find examples from the book to practice with. My math teacher always gives a harder study guide because if we can get the hang of simple problems then we won't have as much trouble on the test.

4. CHILL-This is probably the most important tip. The night before study your little butt off (at an appropriate pace; no cramming) and do a quick review in the morning. After that just chill, don't think about upcoming test, presentation, or whatever too much. Relax your brain and don't stress over Newton's First Law or how many symbols John Steinbeck uses in his books.


As always Otto loves me
Everyone is different but these have all worked pretty well for me. An update on my life is that I'm still awkward, I'm still not 5'2" and I've recently become obsessed with purple lipstick. If you want to read my last blog post you can find it here and until next time!

XOXO

Ashley 





No comments:

Post a Comment